Monday, March 03, 2014

40 weeks 5 days

That's how long I was pregnant...and it is now how old Rowan is!!! As I look back on the last 18 months, it is amazing to see how much has changed, how much I've learned, how I'm so much the same yet so very different. 
I spent my pregnancy deciding on and buying things that I thought I would need...I obviously had no idea what kind of baby he would be, what exactly we would need, etc. I want to document a few of the things I'm so glad I bought and were worth so much more than the money I paid for them-even though he has already grown out of some of the stuff in less than a year.

-Fisher Price Rock N Play-This is what he slept in for the first 4 or so months of his life and I LOVED it. It was the perfect height next to our bed, he looked cozy, yet I felt he was safe and he slept like a champ! It was also the perfect solution for us, because it allowed for some uniformity in our move across the world since we were able to pack it in one of our checked bags and had it for him to sleep in in the hotel when we got here, etc. It is also mobile and light so can go anywhere with you.
-BOB Revolution stroller- I bought this used because they are so expensive new, but either way, it would be worth it. One thing that I've learned through this process is to not expect immediate results. I definitely thought that I would have gotten back in shape a lot faster than I did, but just like it takes the body 40 weeks to prepare for baby, it takes at least that long to get back. Just in the last few weeks I have FINALLY started to feel almost back to normal when working out. Instead of being excited that I actually ran half the distance instead of walking the whole thing, I am finally consistently running 4 miles and working on improving my time instead of just being excited that I ran a little bit. I am so glad I stayed fit throughout my pregnancy, but I think the move and then the summer heat and humidity made it hard to get back into shape. But without those excuses, my body really just didn't feel back to normal until 3 weeks ago. It's still not he SAME as it was before I got pregnant, but I am happy to be able to workout again with real intensity. The BOB is amazing for running and even though it's still much harder than running without a stroller, it's not hard enough for me to let it be an excuse not to do it :) 
-Cute clothes-When I found out we were moving here, I had no idea what kind of clothing selection/online shopping abilities I would have, so I bought his entire wardrobe from 0-12 months. At the time it may have seemed a little excessive, but I don't regret it at all. Getting him dressed is one of my favorite things and I love having a variety of clothes for him to have in pictures, etc. Sounds a little ridiculous I know, but even though they grow out of them so fast, it makes me really happy :) 
-Aden and Anais blanket-not much to say about these except that they're awesome, I love them and they are one of the few things that we continue to use that we also used as a newborn.
-D Link video monitors- I love having a camera in his room, if for no other reason than some good entertainment. However, it really has been so nice. I love seeing what positions he falls asleep in, spying on him when I can hear that he's awake but not crying for us yet, and also gave me comfort during our sleep training days that I knew he was safe and okay regardless of the fact he was screaming at the top of his lungs.
-Our Bell cocoon bike seat. This is only something we have used recently, but I seriously feel like I've already gotten my $60 back out of it in enjoyment. We love going on family bike rides along the beach or through the rice fields...it's an excellent way to cool down after a run too! It's even comfy enough to fall asleep in on long rides (and his helmet prevents him from hitting his head on the hard seat :)
-Activity mat- this is one things he's already outgrown (as you can tell from this picture from several months ago), but I was SO glad that we had it! It is something he could use from very early on and kept him entertained until he became mobile.
I'm sure I'll think of several more, but just wanted to document a few so I remember for next time around.  It is amazing for me to think about the anticipation I had throughout those 40 weeks of pregnancy, and now how normal it is to have this adorable little guy in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Oh they grow up and out of things (especially cute clothes) way too fast!! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete