Monday, December 31, 2018

Team Flash-Rowan soccer

We were really excited for Rowan to get to play soccer on a team this year. I started playing soccer in Kindergarten (The Blue Dolphins)  and was excited for him to have this same experience. Unfortunately, I feel like the soccer leagues here are kind of weird, but one of Rowan's friends, Andrew, invited him to play with Gaithersburg Sports on his team so we jumped at the chance. They practiced every Thursday from 5:30-6:30 and then had games on Saturday, usually early afternoon for about 7 weeks (although a few of his games were rained out so I think they only ended up playing 5). 

After the first game I was worried his team wasn't ever going to win a game. The other team clearly dominated and no one on Rowan's team seemed very skilled or into it. However, we kept going and practicing and it was seriously AMAZING to me how much better each of them got each week.
 Coach Ryan and Rowan at his first practice
 Team Flash
After their first game
It was also weird to have such a huge spectrum of weather. His first game was nasty sweaty hot and we were swarmed by yellow jackets. By the end of the season we were freezing and the kids were playing in sweats, hats and gloves. 
The 3rd game was the highlight for Rowan. He was on fire and scored FOUR goals! His team won their game 5-1. It was SO much fun to watch him really get it and start playing well. He also around this time started to understand the concept of defense and was a great defensive player.
 Andrew and Rowan
 Team Flash
 Here was the cheering squad at practices. Tim would come and play with Boden for the practice which he looked forward to every week (and I did too :)
I'm hoping he will be able to play again in the spring because he enjoyed it so much and improved so much in a really short season.

No comments:

Post a Comment