Monday, April 18, 2011

Silk tie eggs

Although we are busy with the end of the semester nearing, training for my half marathon, etc. I decided I needed to do something to get into the Easter spirit (ok, I know that dying eggs isn't really the Easter spirit, but you know what I mean). I put out a few decorations and decided to dye some eggs. However, for the last about 8 years (since Jenny and I did them for the first time years ago), silk tie eggs have been my egg dying of choice! They are quick, clean, and have amazing results.
All you need are some silk ties (or shirts, boxers, etc). Grant was getting rid of a bunch of ties and I had some shirts that I bought at DI several years ago for this project, so used all of those again. You also need an old white t-shirt to cut up, some raw eggs, rubberbands, and white vinegar.
Wrap up the eggs in silk (so the "pretty side" is facing the egg). Try to get as much contact with the egg as possible.
Then cover with a white t-shirt and rubberband again...Submerge in cold water with a little bit of white vinegar, bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes.And then the best part...unwrapping...check out what you get!

I think these are pretty impressive. They probably aren't as much fun for kids, but I can assure that they would enjoy unwrapping them. It really is pretty amazing! Let me know if you try it out :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, girl!! Where do you get this stuff?? Now, I absolutely HAVE to do this!! You are awesome, Taryn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great!!! I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the leopard ones and Mrs. Potato Head turned out! One of my favorite Easter traditions for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How have I never heard of this!? Awesome! I am def. going to try this out.
    Glad your semester is almost over too! You are a hard workin' girl and it will be amazing in a year when you are done and can nurse away! Kudos to you, by the way, for helping with some births. Definitely not something I want to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shut up! I LOVE those! We've already done eggs this year but I'll definitely keep it in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So amazing -- I want to try this! Thanks for sharing -and good luck on your finals!

    ReplyDelete