Sunday, May 29, 2011

New kind of flying adventure

Since the triplets were born last year (yes, it has now been a year!) Karrie has been planning her trip "home" to Utah, to visit family and friends. However, this posed a bit of a predicament, as there were 3 infants (all needing a lap to sit on) and only 2 parents. That's where I came in. I thought it would be a perfect excuse for me to go visit my sisters and other family and friends in Utah, and also get to spend some time with Karrie, Al, and the babies. So, the week after finals, I drove to North Carolina, spent some time getting reacquainted with the babies, and then Saturday we flew out. Charlotte to Dallas to SLC.

I wish I had taken a picture of Karrie's crazy organization, but it was perfect. Each adult (+baby) had a ziploc with diapers, wipes, and an extra change of clothes, another bag full of baby snacks, 2 bags with a vegetable and yogurt each, and finally, a few boxes of apple juice for the sippy cups, and finally some pre measured formula. Karrie, it was perfect, and your organization is amazing (one of the many reasons you were destined to be the mother of triplets!)

Saturday, we left in the late morning...Madi here excited for her first flight!
From Charlotte to Dallas, I got to hang out with Madi (remember, we had "practiced" on my last visit :) All of the babies behaved so well...of course they were busy (because all almost 1 year olds are), but were fairly quiet and made friends will all those around us. We got so lucky and none of us had anyone in the middle seat next to us on the way there! *I did change my first on the airplane diaper during this flight too.
Once we made it to Dallas, we picked up all the gear we had checked at the gate...it was A LOT of stuff. I think the biggest challenge of it all was managing all the "stuff". Check out the parents...During our layover, we ate, played, and prepared for the final flight of the day. The entire Schiebel family was sick by this point (I wiped a lot of snotty baby noses :) and poor Karrie and Al were not feeling good either!
I love this picture! Not sure what Allie is doing, but so funny. Then, it was time again for our next flight...we played a bit of musical babies on this flight. Madi threw up on Karrie (thanks for waiting til mom was holding you Madi :) and I got to enjoy a sleeping baby (even though it only lasted maybe 15 minutes). It was so cute though :)
Allie enjoyed her empty row and book during this flight ;) Looking so grown up!
We made it to SLC without incident and ready for a good vacation. I do not have any pics from the return flights (because by that point I was sick and really not feeling well!) I got a small glimpse into what it is like to be a "sick mom". I don't know how you all do it! Moms are incredible :) Overall, a great experience...I was glad I could help make this trip possible for them, get to see what it's like to travel with kids, and get a vacation of my own.

3 comments:

  1. Really fun pics. I don't know how families travel with such little babies. Looks like you all did really well. Too bad they got you sick while you were here. : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought getting Zach and all of his stuff home from Michigan when he was 8 weeks old was hard-I realize no that we had it easy. 3 babies-can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these pictures! Making me NOT look forward to out flights to Reno. Charlotte to Phoenix could be brutal.

    ReplyDelete