Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Tidal Basin Cherry Blossoms

One thing I was excited to see when we found out we were moving to DC was the cherry blossoms! Sakura season was such a big deal in Japan and it was fun to get into the spirit of it. One of my favorite trips was to Kyoto during the cherry blossom festival. I figured it would be crazy here, but we decided to head down on a week day after work and it worked out perfectly! Grant had a crazy week the week before and we didn't see him pretty much the entire week (and I was super sick with what I think was the flu...it was a pretty miserable week), so it was great to get to spend time together as a family, on a weekday, outside the house!
We parked at the hospital, Dylan got his second dose of the flu shot and then we picked up Grant and walked over to the metro to head downtown. Grant rides the metro to work daily, but riding public transportation in America with everything in English is still a novelty to me :) The kids love it and I just hand sanitize and pray they don't get sick every time we ride.
We got off at the Smithsonian stop and walked over to the tidal basin, about a 10 or 15 minute walk. It was our first time walking around over there and it was awesome. We did the entire 2 mile loop which literally had cherry trees all of the way around it. The blossoms were in perfect, the weather slightly cool but sunny and warm enough. There were several people but it wasn't packed like it had been on either weekend surrounding that week. The next day there was a huge wind storm that knocked down tons of blossoms, so we seriously picked the best day to go!
Cuties!
I love this picture. Clearly I was the slow one to be ready. Boden's pose is hilarious and Rowan's cheese is perfect.
Love these kids!
Dad and his boys
Just past the Jefferson memorial was an area of the basin with several ducks and geese that the kids had a good time playing with (and they didn't get wet or fall in so we were in luck).
View through the blossoms
Several sections had trees that hung out over the path like this one. Gorgeous!

Dylan looking less than entertained...but he had just woken up so we'll cut him some slack. He was super good and happy the entire time.
We really had such a great time together. Besides a 5 minute hunger meltdown (which luckily I had just enough food to battle), everyone was in good spirits, getting along, having fun, smiling for pictures, enjoying the blossoms, etc. Amazing afternoon with my favorite people! I wish I could go do it again right now...but we will have to wait for next year.
(Dylan and I missed the stick your tongue out memo)

At the end of the path was a little garden of tulips. Not all of them had bloomed yet, but we enjoyed checking out the crazy variety of ones that had.
Happy Sakura season!

No comments:

Post a Comment