Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Hospital stay and discharge

Our hospital stay was a pretty good one, I have no real complaints. They usually keep people for 48 hours, but because I had him around midnight, they wanted us to stay until Saturday morning (since they don't discharge in the middle of the night). After 2 sleepless nights, I decided there was really no reason for us to stay that long! I talked to everyone and asked if we could leave Friday afternoon instead and since I was recovering well and Rowan was doing great, everyone decided that would be fine (yay!) Grant ended up seeing patients on Thursday morning (8 hours after his first child was born!) so it worked out well that he had this sweet pull out bed just 8 floors up from the clinic. Didn't have to travel far to work in the morning :)
Rowan was also pretty comfy in his bed. I was probably the least comfortable because his bed sat up much higher than mine so I had to get out of bed every time I wanted to pick him up...and getting out of bed only hours after having a child isn't super comfortable. This fact alone made me ready to go home and have him sleeping in his bed that sits pretty flush next to mine!
 I LOVE his wrinkly legs. Some people love baby chub...I love skinny extra skin legs :) They are even wrinklier when his legs are all of the way straight.
 Thursday morning my mom flew into Carlsbad and our neighbors were kind enough to pick her up and bring her to the hospital (thank you Steve and Susie!) It was fun for her to see her first little grandbaby and to see me as a new mommy :) It was nice that she could come see him for a few days when he was brand new!
 Sweetest thing ever. It really has been fun to see how good Grant is with this little guy. Grant was worried when he came out with black hair that he didn't really belong to him...but since everyone says he looks like a mini Grant, I don't think anyone can question my fidelity :)
 Hallway in the mother-baby unit...
 And here is a little hospital picture dump...
I could (and do) just stare at his cute little face for hours.
He LOVES having his hands in his face (well either that or he lacks all arm control and that's where they always end up). I'm surprised he doesn't have scratches all over his face, but his nails are still pretty soft.
I got a little bored my last few days of pregnancy (playing the waiting game) so I crocheted a few things including this cute little owl hat. It's still way too big for him, but I couldn't resist a pic.
Love love this picture. Shows how alert he was from the very beginning...
Poor little guy had slightly elevated bilirubin levels so they had to do a few extra heel sticks. Thought it was cute they even had Garfield bandaids for a 1-day old. He was just below the threshold for needing light therapy (yay!) but we had to come back the next day after discharge to check his levels. I also supplemented with formula for 24-hours until my milk came in to get him eating and pooping enough to get rid of the bilirubin.
Love me some baby cuddles... He slept FOREVER the first day (even lactation couldn't wake him up to eat-and they have serious skills in waking sleeping babies) so we did lots of skin to skin cuddling that day.
And then on Friday afternoon they got us out of there! I know some people love staying in the hospital as long as possible, but like I said, I was definitely anxious to go home.
Looks so tiny in his carseat.
 And here we are leaving the hospital, a year and a week to the day after moving to Oceanside. It's definitely been quite the year! I still remember vividly driving Grant to the hospital a year ago and dropping him off at this door in his uniform to get his orders stamped to begin work. It was fun to deliver at the hospital where he works. We got lots of visitors including co-workers and patients of his.
 Family photo of our wristbands. I win with 3!
And when we arrived home, there was this super cute sign on our door! So grateful to have awesome neighbors who love us and this new little guy. Even though I don't love how I look in this pic, I had to document to show what my belly looked like a day and a half after giving birth. It was the weirdest feeling thing...so squishy! It's been fun to watch it continually go down everyday. Unfortunately that quick progress is coming to an end. Think I might have to start working for the rest of it :)
It has been so nice to be home, beginning "real life" together as our new little family!

4 comments:

  1. he is such a beautiful boy. congratulations! and you are a beautiful new mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are looking great. Rowan is a doll. What a year in Oceanside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, so sweet! Makes me glad for the few pictures I mustered up enough courage to take...somehow I'm a little self conscious about pulling out a camera to take a picture. Makes me want to do better for future babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your overall experience was a great one and what a cutie you got to bring home!

    ReplyDelete