When I was pregnant with Boden I was freaking out that I would have him on Rowan's birthday and they wouldn't each get a special day to themselves. I am still glad that they don't share a birthday, but I have LOVED getting to celebrate both of them together with their birthdays only 4 days apart. It is so much fun. We make sure that each of their actual birthdays is a fun special day, but when it comes to the real party, we like to do it together.
When I asked Rowan probably 2 months ago what he wanted to do for his birthday party, he said that he was going to have a water slide. I have no idea where he got that idea but I started to brainstorm how to make it happen without going somewhere or doing anything crazy. I started looking a renting a bounce house, and then decided to look into buying one. I have a few friends who own them and it seems like they have all gotten their money's worth...so when I saw it on super sale on amazon, I snatched it up, so we had a fun water slide bounce house for the party and that was the boys' birthday present from us :) Win win win.
Tried to keep things simple this year and I think I succeeded! We invited 2 families, grilled hamburgers and hotdogs for dinner, played on the bounce house and had a wonderful evening all together!
The watermelon slices as appetizers were probably one of the biggest hits with the kids :)
Yes, this was the first thing Rowan did on the bounce house...just 3 hours after getting 3 sutures in his forehead. And somehow we managed to make it almost 4 years without an ER visit. We let the kids play on it dry before dinner, then after we ate, we turned the water on and they had even more fun (yay for not being in a drought anymore, but luckily you barely have to turn the hose on to make it awesome!)
Dinner time!
Rowan hadn't really eaten all day because of his hospital visit through lunch, etc. so he sat and ate an entire plate of food by himself...this was his birthday present to me ;) He's a good eater, but usually so slow and requires a lot of encouragement and often help, so this was amazing.
And then the water came on!
Party favors :) Planning a party while living in America is so much easier than in Japan!
It's so cute how he's learned to go warm himself up in the sun and then will go right back to playing!
Party goers! Thanks for a great time friends. Rowan and Boden were both in heaven playing with all these best friends of theirs :)
For dessert I made the same cupcakes that Brea made for our party last year, yellow cake with a golden oreo on the bottom and cream cheese frosting, I love them! We decided on blue frosting with a Swedish fish swimming on the top. (Pretty sure Boden ate like 5 fish off the top of the cupcakes that hadn't been claimed yet).
And I wanted root beer floats so we did those too :)
Boden was apparently sad he didn't get a cake smash this year so decided it would still be fun to rub frosting all over his body.
Doesn't get much better than Mimi spooning root beer float into your mouth!
We have super generous friends who brought perfect gifts for them! (Lawn darts, sand toys and squirt guns). Thank you thank you friends.
Wish we did stuff like this more often even without an occasion. We had such a great time. The weather was perfect and the company even better. My parents were a huge help in prepping for the party and so glad they could spend another birthday with us!

























No comments:
Post a Comment