Thursday, November 02, 2017

Cross country travel and pre wedding fun

Besides the craziness of moving last minute, while pregnant and Grant starting residency, another complication with our move was the fact that we would no longer be living in San Diego when Holly and Jonny got married. Our house was supposed to be home base, I would have been home with my newborn baby, Grant could have come to the wedding, etc.  But, since that was no longer the plan, we made new plans and bought flights for me, the 3 boys and Alexa (who was my +1 for the wedding and the week). So grateful to have had her to come with us. She felt just like family, anticipated my needs with the kids, etc. 
We flew out Tuesday and decided to park at the airport and Grant would come pick up the car that night. I was nervous about all the stuff, plus 3 kids and flying across the country...however it all went as well as could hoped for. We parked in a lot at the airport and the shuttle pulled up right behind the car and unloaded everything for me while I got the kids out, then we hopped on the bus, it dropped us off right in front of Southwest and there was a luggage cart free and sitting waiting for us. All our check in went smoothly, we got Chik Fil A for lunch and then boarded our nonstop flight to San Diego.
 We had one entire row and then Alexa sat across from us with an open seat next to her which one of the kids could go sit in when they needed a change of scenery. Dylan hardly cried at all, Boden took a nap and everyone was generally happy.
 We were the very last ones off the plane because we were in back and I wasn't in a hurry, so as we walked up the aisle to exit, the pilot was standing there and asked the kids of they wanted to come fly the plane! So they got to take turns sitting in the cock pit. It was such a fun experience for them.
 Then we got our bags and looked like crazy people with a stroller, 2 large carseats, 2 huge suitcases with kids riding on top of them, a baby on my chest, each of us with backpacks, etc. But look at us, we did it! (and I don't think I could have done it alone). We had to walk all the way over to the rental car bus to get us to the garage. I was sweaty by the end but we made it. (And I loved having my new Solly baby wrap to carry Dylan in, it was perfect).
 We got a car and proceeded to our beach house in La Jolla where we met my mom who arrived a few minutes after us. We got some dinner that afternoon and then headed to the beach on the way home for sunset since the kids had been asking to go to the beach from the moment we landed. I know them well enough to realize they weren't going to stay dry, but I was shocked that they both got ALL the way wet on this slightly chilly night! It had only been 2 months but they had missed the ocean!
 Boden was soaked head to toe in his sweatshirt.
 That night Mimi read them books and they fell asleep well....
 Until...4am the next morning when everyone was WIDE awake! I finally got Boden back to sleep for a few minutes but I was literally counting down the minutes until sunrise so we could go outside for a walk.
 Our morning walks were always great. We would go get coffee and hot chocolate and enjoy looking at all the houses that I can barely even imagine being able to afford living in with gorgeous views of the La Jolla coast. 

The next morning (Wednesday), we made a beach day. We were only here for a week so we had to make the most of it! We originally were planning to go back Saturday but a couple weeks before the trip I changed our tickets to stay until Wednesday, and I was so glad I did!
These boys were so excited to be back on the sand and in the waves.
 We even converted Alexa into a beach lover! (not sure how anyone needs convincing but I think we've converted a few people now ;)
Look at all these boys of mine!
That night we hit up In N Out for dinner and then got a huge order of different cakes from Extraordinary Desserts to celebrate my dad's birthday. He flew in that evening so we had them all plated and ready when he arrived at the house!
 "Happy Birthday to you!"
Karleigh and Brandon arrived late that night and the next morning we had a little Bachelorette brunch for Holly at Fig Tree Cafe in Pacific Beach. It was delicious and the perfect spot for this get together (and Dylan slept through the entire thing. Such a good baby!)
That afternoon was our last one with Holly before the wedding so we took a little stroll through the tidepools as a family before out dinner at Souplantation that night.
It was so much fun spending time with my family, grateful to have these people and that we have such a great time together! The next morning was the main event, the moment we had all been waiting for  (quite literally for A LOT of years ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment