Monday, February 16, 2009

MM-Cinnamon Roll Man

I lived in Hawaii the summer of 2003 and had an amazing time. I attended BYU-Hawaii for a semester, lived on the beach and had the time of my life. I'm sure several "memory Mondays" will be dedicated to Hawaii experiences/memories, but today I will be talking about the cinnamon roll man!
I have never been anywhere quite like Hawaii. I lived in Laie and Jenny and I ate "out" most Saturday mornings it seemed like. We needed a break from our Costco cereal that was stored in the same cabinet as the laundry detergent and eventually ended up tasting like soap, yuck. So most Saturday mornings we found ourselves either in the drive through at McDonalds (where we had a "Big Daddy" experience, they were being slow, it turned 10:30 one car before we got to order, and they would not let us get our McMuffins!) or on our way to the "cinnamon roll man."

As in the picture above, there were a few posters/signs around town directing you to this man's house. You just follow the signs and end up at a modest home near the cemetary in Laie. If I can remember correctly, we walked through the carport to the back door and were greeted my an old, small (I know, you wouldn't expect small from a cinnamon roll Polynesian man) man. We paid our couple of dollars at the back door in exchange for a styrofoam takeout container full of enormous, delcious, homemade cinnamon rolls. Only in Hawaii would I buy baked goods out of the back door of some random man's house. Sometimes I feel I was too trusting while I lived there but for experiences like this, I'm glad that I was :) So good. Thanks for the memories (and yummy rolls) cinnamon roll man!

3 comments:

  1. Look how freakin' tan you are! That sounds like the prefect summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man you are tan in that picture... smokin' hot!!! I am afraid Hawaii will be the only time I had a little color to my skin. And I too have fond memories of the cinnamon roll man. Part of my theory is we were starving (because of the soap-scented food) so pretty much everything tasted delicious. Do you remember that coconut rice concoction we used to whip up? Mmmmmmmmm... Oh, and remember driving for 45 minutes to get tacos at Jack in the Box?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:27 AM

    I wonder if I put up a little sign outside the Starbucks up the stree if I could operate a little home business?

    ReplyDelete