Monday, September 21, 2009

Premiere Week!

A few months ago we decided to cut back on our bills and cancel cable TV. It was a tough transition, I lost Food Network, Grant lost the Speed channel, but what I missed most was my DVR. I realized I could be perfectly happy with just the network channels, but having the ability to fast forward through commercials and watch the shows whenever worked for me.

Grant never ceases to amaze me. When he wants to do something, he finds a way to make it happen, whether he knows how to or not at the time. He researches, reads, talks to people, etc. until he finds out how to complete a project, and thus, our homemade DVR was born!

For the cost of 2.5 months of cable with DVR, we are now able to use our computer to record our favorite shows (it even has a guide of the channels we get through the digital antenna and we can set it to record a series, etc. just like we were used to), and they save on to our external storage.


Then, we can either watch them on the desktop upstairs, or pull up the stroage on the laptop downstairs, plug our laptop downstairs into the TV with the HDMI cable, and watch it just like we were watching TV, able to FF, pause, rewind, etc, from the controls on the laptop. We tried it out last week and it worked beautifully.

So, needless to say, I am very excited about premiere weeks (last week and this week) because even though I have class every night from 5-9, I am still able to come home and enjoy the shows I missed!!!

15 comments:

  1. Oh I know how you feel. I've been without cable for a few months and definitely have missed the DVR. I might just have to try this DIY fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed AND so glad you can still tape for us! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Way to go Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need a tutorial for this! What antenna are you guys using? Ours suxs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, you guys are amazing! House was really great last night, have you seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY Grant! Nice work...i think i am adicted to DVR/HD/TV etc. ...i will have withdrawls when we cancel it after football season!! We may need to take this new route of TV watching you have informed me of!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is awesome! I have cable here but no DVR I miss it! I'm so excited for premiere's too! Office was great and can't wait for Grey's tomorrow night! And I watch Private Practice too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah?? Um. Grant, come do that for us 'cuz I can't wrap my head around all that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. teach me, teach me, teach me!! how cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea! that is just what we needed to know!! We want to do without cable too but I just wanted to watch DAncing with the Stars! Go Chelsie and a few more shows, we maybe calling you to get this figured out oK?
    YOU are completely invited to come visit DC when you are able. We live very close now and you will LOVE It.
    (our space is very small but we'll share!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. To answer you question on my blog I have ads because you can get money for having them there. You should think about putting it on yours. It won't be a lot of money but you have quite a few people who read yours. It is on the dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry taryn...i forgot my camera to carin's wedding! can you believe that? i was so mad at myself. so, i'm counting on her sisters to get me more pics. i'll post more later i guess. i saw your mom on sunday- congrats to her and your dad. they are going to be GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:18 PM

    I had no idea. We are DVR-less and I'm going to check this out. As soon as I figure it out, that is.

    ReplyDelete