When deciding what to bring in our shipment overseas, I had heard we should bring Christmas decorations, so it would feel like home during the holidays even being so far away. However, I also was told that Japanese housing was very small and with very limited storage. So...I picked a bin and called it my "holiday bin". I was only allowed to bring as many holiday decorations as fit in that bin (which was definitely difficult). But, I didn't want bins of decorations that I had nowhere to store.
So although I have not even a portion of my normal Christmas decor, we made it feel festive and I love our island style Christmas.
Outdoor lights with a view. We have enjoyed dinner out here already and it is so much fun!
I love our little yard
Our Christmas palm tree was perfect to decorate since I didn't bring very many ornaments. We have the perfect number of them and will add 2 a year while we live here (one for Rowan and one for us)...
Love the lights up the trunk of the palm...feels like home
I wanted a Japanese nativity but was having trouble finding them. Then, I happened upon this Kokeshi nativity and I LOVE it. It is very simple, but hand crafted and I know will be very special and a forever reminder of Okinawa.
And since we didn't have a mantle or anywhere to put stocking hangers, I made this sign and added hooks for us to hang our stockings from. Mine and Grant's were made by my great aunt Joan, but since she passed away a few years ago, my mom taught herself to make them and Rowan's was her first. She did a fabulous job!
Merry Christmas! We now have a few presents under the tree and Rowan learned to crawl this week (I don't think it's a coincidence :) I find him under the tree constantly now. However, a palm tree is perfect for having a baby, because there are no branches at the bottom for them to mess with. That was a perfect accident :)
No comments:
Post a Comment