Saturday, January 03, 2015

Merry Christmas from Okinawa

It took a little while for it to feel like Christmas. I was so lucky to have gotten Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off (especially since I also had  3 days off at Thanksgiving-I definitely didn't mention it to the scheduling people). 
Christmas Eve we had an amazing dinner with some of Grant's co-workers where we were treated to a huge gourmet dinner, and all I had to do was bring an appetizer. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of those festivities. 
That night Grant and I got to get into the spirit of Santa as we stayed up late putting presents under the tree and setting up Santa gifts. I went to bed feeling slightly defeated as I was too tired to stay up and put bows on my packages (which I know is insignificant but means a lot to me), but as I laid their in bed, realized I had so much to be thankful for and the fact that I was too tired to put bows on my packages because I'm pregnant, have a more than full time job and a rambunctious toddler was really not a bad thing :) 
I was pretty excited for Rowan to come downstairs in the morning. Although he didn't have any of the anticipation that usually goes with Christmas morning, I knew he would be excited once he came downstairs.
We got a really cute video of Rowan coming down the stairs and seeing his Santa goods. He was actually more excited than I thought he would be which was pretty fun for me too. He immediately pointed to his head and wanted to put his helmet on, hugged his Panda Pillow Pet and started to ride his bike around the living room.
Merry Christmas everyone! Look what Santa brought! (Rowan does a pretty cute "ho, ho, ho"
After awhile of playing, he discovered his stocking and decided it needed a hug
His favorite stocking stuffer was definitely this Pez dispenser. He finished off 2 full packs of Pez in no time!
Last Christmas I thought Rowan would like unwrapping presents, but he never really got into it. That was definitely a change this year! We even found him running over to open new ones when we weren't paying attention.
I was pretty excited for him to get this cookie set. We put our toaster oven down low on a bench in the kitchen so he can cook with me and he has had so much fun with this. It has velcro so he can cut the cookies apart with his little knife which he loves. I think the oven mitt is his favorite part of the set though ;)
After a morning of present opening, we sent outside to enjoy our presents! I can't get over how cute he looks with his little bike. He's still getting the hang of it, but really enjoys it.
A lot of our friends and neighbors went home to the states for a few weeks, but we were lucky enough to still have some of our closest friends, Mike and Alexa here. They play a pretty significant part in our lives here and it felt right to spend Christmas dinner with them. So, we planned a somewhat easy but delicious dinner and had them come over for the evening. The house got a little chilly, so I put the rolls on the floor to rise under the heater, and all of a sudden a look over and see that Rowan had ridden his bike right across the top of the rolls :) Luckily I wasn't trying to impress and was only cooking for 4 people. I couldn't even be mad, I just laughed and tried to fix it as much as possible. They actually turned out pretty decent still. (and yes, they were covered in a towel so they didn't actually get tire dirt on them!)
Our beautiful and "oishi" dinner!
And since Rowan hadn't opened enough presents yet, there was one more really big one from Mike and Alexa. This is one lucky little boy (and they totally out did us;)
He rode around inside for 2 days until I decided it was definitely more of an outside toy ;) Grant already taught him to do some trick riding. I'm in trouble...

No comments:

Post a Comment