Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Spring snow day

Tuesday was the first day of spring, and Wednesday we were hit with the biggest snow storm since we've lived in Maryland. We have had lots of "snow days" where school is cancelled, etc which usually just means the there is a little bit of ice or a dusting of snow. I had really been hoping for one more play in the snow, beautiful powdery snow day, and yesterday we finally got it! Rowan's school was cancelled (which usually bugs me because I pay for his school and they don't make up the days), but Grant also got the day off and we had so much fun together! Grant has been really busy with work recently so it was a bonus to not only get to see him, but to spend almost the entire day playing together. 
I planned to wait until the afternoon to go out because it was snowing all morning, but the boys decided that 10am was a good time to go out, so we figured we'd just go out and have fun. We got all suited up, invited the neighbors over and had ourselves a snow party.
 We're still working on sitting up ;)
 Poor flowers
 First thing, we put the kids to work :) Well for a few minutes at least. I actually really like shoveling the driveway so I took over. And it continued to snow for hours, so I ended up shoveling it 2 or 3 times.
 We got the beach toys out and played with trucks and made a small snow castle.
 And then the neighbors came over with the sled and the real fun began. We took turns with their sled and then busted out the boogie boards to see if they would work and it was perfect! They were the perfect sled on the snow that we had...and the hill from our driveway into our neighbors yard is the best (it is also the kids' favorite hill to bike down)
 Dylan got tired so we put him down and turned the monitor on and he slept for about 2 hours! Best nap and let us all play which was a lot of fun. All of us had fun and of course as the day went on and people became more confident, the tricks got more dangerous. They ended up building a little ramp, then ended up piling on one board, standing up on boards, etc. I'm happy to report there were no injuries. I did a nice little wipeout trying to surf the skimboard down the hill when the front dug in though ;)
 Rowan would put his arms out pretend he was flying as he hit the jump, it was cute. He's usually pretty cautious but he was pretty daring yesterday.
 We went in for lunch and Boden took a nap and Dylan took another nap...and then around 4:15 we headed back out for a few more hours in the snow. I'm actually surprised how long everyone lasted. No meltdowns, no complaining, just playing. 
Dylan's first sledding adventure.
 Our neighbors had this adorable sled they let us borrow to pull Dylan around the yard. It was pretty cute!
 At the end of the day, this was the favorite way to go down the hill
We had a great day together and even went back out this morning during Dylan's nap. The snow had packed down and frozen a bit and was even faster today. But the sun is out and it's all melting fast (which I'm pretty happy about). I love a good snow storm that's fun to play in and looks beautiful, but then I'm more than ready for it to be completely gone when we're done with it :) Bring on Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment